Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Baby Wash day

I was at the library last week for my little one's story time. When checking out, the head librarian asked me if I ever made cards for anyone to buy. Of course I replied, what do you need? Turns out she needed a baby girl card. No problem, I'll get right on it.

Well of course there was a problem... I have close to none baby stamps!! lol (or so I thought, realized later on I have one set) After a quick call to my mom to borrow her baby set, I thought and thought and thought, went away for the weekend and still thought of what style of baby card I was going to do. I was hitting a blank spot with the set from my mom when it hit me... I still have the Wash Day jumbo wheel that retired from Stampin' Up!
So I sat down on Monday to make the card. The Try new Technique 191 was to use watercolor pencils and blend the color with Twinkling H2O's. And to have some pink in the card as SCS was going pink this week in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month. No problem, I have H2O's, I can do this challenge... now for my layout... hmmm .... wait, I didn't get to do the Featured Stamper as we were away for the weekend so let me look through ink-e's gallery and see if anything jumps out at me. Here is the card I cased. I changed stamp sets, colors and instead of tearing the bottom, I used the scallop punch.
I ran my wheel over my black stazon ink pad and wheeled across my white cardstock. I actually did this two times on seperate pieces. I colored both images the same but only used H2O's on one of them. The one I used the H2O's on, I cut out each piece of clothing and placed them ontop of the other image using dimensionals. Now before I added the clothing, I used the cloud stencil with Bashful Blue ink and put in the sky. It's amazing how when doing the stencil it doesn't look that great but when you are all finished... WOW... you have a sky!! I love this sky... I could stare at it all day long! On the flowers, I added flower soft adhered with crystal effects.

stamp: wash day jumbo wheel (retired), warmest regards; paper: pretty in pink, black, purple; ink: black stazon, bashful blue; accs: prismacolor watercolor pencils, scallop edge, white gel pen, cloud stencil, flower soft, brads, photo corner punch, dimensions, ribbon
Now you might be wondering what I ended up selling this for to the librarian and I'm almost ashamed to adimt how much as I'm sure you will say i'm crazy! But I sold it for $3.50. Yes, I'm sure she would have paid more for it but as we have discussed just in the post below in all your comments, it's so hard to put a price on handmade items. So do you think I was crazy for charging her only $3.50 instead of $5.00?

10 comments:

Oma said...

She probably was willing to pay more, but look at it this way - next time she or one of her co-workers or friends want to give a home made card to someone special, she will think of you and you might pick up some more card orders.

Denise ~ Paper Ponderings said...

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow!!! This is adorable...I bet she was thrilled!

fishlips said...

It's hard to even buy a card here for under 5 dollars, unless you go to the dollars stores. Your card is just darling and with all the details that went into this card even at 8 dollars she got a real bargain...This card is simply a masterpiece!!!!

Sankari W. said...

Amber your card is so sweet and beautiful! I love the clothesline with the baby girl clothes and love your coloring. The photo corners and the scalloped edging really add such beautiful detail to your already beautiful card! (love your bow too!) Your card is such a present in itself! beautiful!

The Mama Monkey said...

This is so cute! I love the sky as well! What cloud stencil did you use? Is it SU?

Nicole said...

So cute! What a lot of work cutting out all those tiny clothes. Love it.

Katie said...

Amber, this is just adorable! But cutting out all those tiny clothes...you must have waaaay more patience than me!

gale said...

Oh that is so cute! Definitely worth $5 although I'd have been happy with $3.50 too.

Naomi said...

This is beautiful! Love the popped up clothes, the sky is marvelous, the grass and flowers look great. The photo corners are just right. It's perfect. $3.50??? Well, she got a good deal!

Anonymous said...

First, gorgeous card! Love the cut-outs:)

Second, yes you were crazy to charge $3.50 instead of $5. However, I know that I undercharge at times. A lot of people still have this mentality that it is okay to pay $4 and up for a Hallmark card, but will not pay the same for a hand-crafted one.

You did an amazing job!