Monday, November 12, 2007

Embossing Marker Tutorial

I decided to pull out my Marvy Embossing Markers to use on today's challenge. No, embossing wasn't the challenge. Japanese Stab Binding was today's Try a New Technique! I know, I should be showing you how to do the Binding instead of Embossing. When I perfect it, I will. lol

I decided to use Home for the Holidays by My Favorite Things and picked out the Christmas tree. The lights are a seperate stamp which I placed on the tree using stazon black ink. (It doesn't matter what ink you use with the markers, I just like stazon)

I colored in the lights with an embossing marker that was close to bravo burgundy. The marker stays wet long enough to pour on clear (or metallic) embossing powder.

Here are the lights with clear embossing powder just sprinkled on. Heat with a heating gun to a raised, shiny finish.

Here the first string of lights have been embossed while the second string awaits the heat gun.

All the light have been embossed. I then took a clear marker and went over the strings so that I could emboss those. Here you can see the clear embossing powder on the strings in need of the heat gun.

I added a star, colored it in yellow and embossed it in clear.

I watercolored my tree in with peeled paint distress reinker. Distressed the entire cardstock with distress ink vintage photo and used a distresser tool on the sides of the cardstock to give it a worn look. I went back over the edges an sponged on more vintage photo distress ink. Merry Christmas is embossed in gold embossing powder on a long word window tag. The Japanese Stab Binding is on the side, looks close to a blanket stitch.
All items SU unless noted otherwise. Stamp sets: Home for the Holidays by My Favorite Things, Linen, Cardstock: Bravo Burgundy, Always artichoke, vanilla, Inks: Vintage photo distress ink, peeled paint distress reinker, Bravo Burgundy, Acc: Marvy Embossing Markers, clear embossing powder, ribbon, brad, word window punch, distresser tool




9 comments:

Sherry Cheever said...

Great tutorial and such a fabulous card!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great card, I am wondering how you got the awesome gold on the layer under the tree?

Amber (bambi64) said...

True, it does look gold but it is really Tim Holtz Distress ink vintage photo that i sponged on the entire white cardstock.

Anonymous said...

The shimmery gold is that as well?
If so, do you have to do something with it or is it like that out of the bottle?

Anonymous said...

Is the shimmery gold the vintage photo as well? If so, does it come out of the bottle looking like this or do you have to do something?
Thanks!

Amber (bambi64) said...

The distress inks are ink pads, I just dabbed my sponge on the pad before sponging the cardstock. Feel free to email me at hillmanfam@woh.rr.com if i'm not answering what you want answered. :)

Discount Cards said...

Its nice to see the use of the Marvy Embossing Markers in your project. It looks really nice to see. Thanks for the posting and share your work.

Plastic Card said...

Excellent tutorial. I have lot of interest in making my own cards. Letting me know that How embossing Marker is designed to enable crofters to emboss their own.

Zafran ali said...

Great tutorial and such a fabulous card!Happy Christmas in advance.
Wire Harness