Sunday, January 30, 2011

It’s my Birthday and I have PRESENTS for YOU!

whiterussiancupcakes

Today is my 36TH birthday!! I am not old but young at heart as you have seen me coloring, playing with glue, learning to tie bows, making cakes/cupcakes in my posts.  And so today I have a fun and SWEET blog post to share with you.

I looked through my CUPCAKES! From the Cake Mix Doctor by Anne Byrn book and decided on White Russian Cupcakes covered with Kahlua Whipped Cream for my birthday cupcakes. Made them before we went to Mad River Mountain to do some tubing (that’s another post). Came home and made up the Kahlua whipped cream just so I could take pictures as I need the cupcakes to go along with my blog post. And then since I had covered at least two cupcakes, we had to try them!  They are soooooo good!!

So since it is my birthday, I have a few surprises for you!

Cake Crystals sent me some cake crystals to give away to one of you! Isn’t that cool?? What are cake crystals you ask? This is what they on their site: “Cake Crystals® are the only edible jewels on the market that are faceted top and bottom for the highest level of realism and sparkle.”

Here is a few pictures of them on my cupcakes. Aren’t they fun?! Who doesn’t like bling on their cupcakes?

cakecrystals2

cakecrystals1

I can’t wait to make some cakes or cookies and add some crystals to them. And incase you were wondering, Cake Crystals had no clue it was my birthday when they sent the sweet blog candy.

So how would you like to try a jar of Cake Crystals? How about a 2.75 oz jar of PINK (approx. 90+) crystals just in time for Valentine’s Day?!  This is what you will get, (minus the cupcake, I just put it there to show you the size of the jar.) 

cake crystals

So how do you go about winning the jar? Go to Cake Crystals Facebook page and “Like” them, come back here and tell me you did and you will be in the running. (at the bottom of their website is a button that will take you right to their Facebook page)

Don’t have Facebook? Then tell me how you would use the crystals and you’ll be in the running too. 

I will pick a winner on Feb.2nd.

NOTE: Drawing is only open to those in the USA. Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now how would you like the recipe for the White Russian Cupcakes? Well here you go! Enjoy!

White Russian Cupcakes

1 package plain yellow cake mix*
1 package 3.4oz vanilla instant pudding mix
1 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup whole milk
4 eggs
1/4 cup vodka
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Kahlua
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

*I used yellow cake mix that had pudding in it so I left out the package of pudding mix.

Kahlua Whipped Cream:

1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
1 tablespoons Kahlua

Optional: 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate shavings for garnish

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners.

Prepare the cupcake batter: place the cake mix, pudding mix, oil, milk, eggs, vodka, 1/4 cup Kahlua and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Blend on low for 30 seconds. Stop machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Increase the speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more. Spoon or scoop 1/3 cup batter into each lined cupcake liners, filling it three quarters of the way full.

Bake the cupcakes until they are golden and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger, 17-20 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Brush the tops of the cupcakes with the remaining 2 tablespoons Kahlua. Cool.

Whipped Cream: Place a large, clean mixing bowl and electric mixer beaters in the freezer to chill for 1 minute. Remove. Pour the cream into the bowl and beat on high speed until the cream has thickened, 1 1/2 minutes. Stop the machine and add the sugar and Kahlua. Beat the cream on high until stiff peaks form.

Place a heaping tablespoon of the whipped cream on each cupcake and swirl to spread it out with a short metal spatula taking care to cover the tops completely. Garnish with chocolate shavings.

Store these cupcakes, in a cake saver; in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.


           Have a great day &

                thanks for stopping

                 by on my birthday!


                           Amber

15 comments:

Lorie said...

Happy Birthday Amber! Those look super fun! Of course I liked them on FB!

Basteltiger´s Welt said...

Hi Amber,

happy birthday to you.
I hope you enjoy your day and the blog hop we are holding for you at Paper Pretties.

Hugs, Nadine

Patti P. said...

Amber, Happy,Happy Birthday to You!! I hope your day is extra special! Those cupcakes look so good, enjoy!

Nancy said...

Happy Birthday, Amber!! I love those cake crystals!! And, what a yummy recipe!!

Chris said...

save me a cupcake, I love white russians. Yummy.
Have the best birthday, looks like I don't have to tell you eat cake.

Kelly L said...

Happy Birthday, again, Amber! I see your recipe says these will keep in the fridge for 4 days -- promise?! lol Around this house with a teenage boy, hubby and myself, I am sure they will be gone in 2. :) Thanks for sharing on YOUR special day! You're the best! Kelly :)

Tracey said...

Happy Birthday Amber! Hope you've had a fantastic day. Those cupcakes look really yummy :)

Hugs
Tracey
xx

Kelly Collins said...

Hope you have a very Happy Birthday! I'm definitely going to try that recipe!
Enjoy the hop too!

Ann Y said...

Two things - yes I would want the recipe and something sweet - have to maintain this figure everyone loves to give me do do about AND the second is all your Copic colors - yummmmy -- no not to eat I am not that bad, they look so good and would look good on my paper too!~:D

AShu93 said...

Those sound yummy & look great! I liked the crystals on fb. I'd love to try those.

Cindy Haffner said...

YUMMY Amber, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Karen said...

Happy birthday Amber! I hope it was a great one for you and the year ahead is filled with goodness for you.

I liked them on FB and hope I win! My grandkids would love some Valentine cupcakes made with them.

Anonymous said...

Happy, Happy Birthday 2 U.
Oh, them Cake Crystals are Awesome.
I don't do facebook so I would use them on valentine/anniversary cake who will be celebrating their anniversary on Valentine's Day.
Thank You for the giveaway and also for the recipe. Them cupcakes look sooooo Yummy.
May you have a very Blessed and joyous day on your birthday.
ColleenB.

Runnergirl Creations said...

Yumm! Happy Birthday! Thanks for sharing! What a fantastic hop! :) I'm a follower now!

Cathy said...

Happy Birthday Amber

Hope you had a wonderful day.
Love those cake crystals. They are so pretty on your cupcakes.
I just visited their blog and facebook. I hope you haven't drawn the winner yet.
Thank you