Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Published! Cards for Paula and the Sketch!

SketchSquirrel
This will be a long post so please bear with me as I have something to ask of you, my readers.

First I’m going to brag a little on myself. Two years ago I sent in one of my favorite Thomas Kinkade cards to RubberStampMadness in hopes of being published. Never heard a word until this summer! It is in their Nov/Dec/Jan issue.



This past weekend I did a Stamp Camp for a friend of mine. She wanted a bundle of all occasion cards. I browsed through SCS and mixed cards left and right until I got 7 cards I was happy with to share with the ladies. The camp was actually 2 days as not everyone could make it the first day so I had double the cards for myself.

Now what am I going to do with all these cards you ask? Well back on Sept 23 about 6pm just a few miles from our house, Paula had walked down her driveway to get her mail (on her side of the road)...a pickup pulling a flat trailer (narrow country roads)was coming up the road, the trailer somehow came off the truck, struck Paula head on and stopped in the neighbor’s yard about 100 ft away!!

Paula’s right leg, her tibia and fibula were broken and everything from her knee down was torn away. She also sustained fractures in her back which required screws to be inserted (c4-c7) and (t1-t5). She also had a brain injury at her brain stem.

She has been through quite a bit of surgeries since then and is now breathing on her own during the day. (To read more about her day to day progress, please see My Story) She has 2 young teens and runs the only florist shop in our town. But those bills will be piling up so as a community, we are putting together a dinner and a silent auction to help the family with the cost.

Mom and I have decided to donate a basket of stamped cards and altered (small) items to be auctioned off. So all those double cards I just made this past weekend are going into the basket. And this is where you come in. If you have any cards/small altered items that you’d like to donate for this basket, we’d sure appreciate it! And of course the recipient will end up with the best ever basket!! (please include envelopes with your card) Email me at hillmanfam@woh.rr.com with Cards for Paula in the subject line and I will email you my address as I don’t wish to post it on here. We would like to have all the items by Dec.1st.

Here are the cards from the stamp camp that I am putting in the basket (just realized one is missing!)

silviastampcamp09 sympathytreeslivia thinkingofyouSilviastampcamp09
sliviastampfallcamp sliviastcamp09 silviastampcamp09fall
inside of card (the stamps used on this card are from Our Craft Lounge – Autumn Garden)

pumpkinsiliva09

For today’s sketch252 I used two sets from Our Craft Lounge; Giving Thanks and Nuts About You. I used the leaf border from Giving Thanks to make a frame that I colored with prismacolor markers and then cut out completely. It is attached with Helmar Liquid Scrap Dots. The squirrel is from Nuts about You and is also attached with Helmar Liquid Scrap Dots. The nut border is from Nuts About You and once again I cut it out completely. On the green strip I combined the images from Giving Thanks and Nuts About You and stamped them in Versamark.

SketchSquirrel

Thanks for looking and please consider donating some cards to Paula’s basket. Life can change in the blink of an eye.

1 comments:

Starla said...

Thanks for the reminder...need to go thru the stack of cards and put together a bunch for Paula!

Great photos of your trip....LOVE the fall colors