Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter Pictures and Cake recipe

Hope everyone had a good Easter. We had a nice time and the kids all stayed healthy (last year I had one kid sick on Good Friday) through the weekend. Of course Benjamin came down with a fever last night so guess who is home today? Guess he wanted that Spring Break day that they were suppose to have before they took it away from us. (We have too many snow days to make up so they took our 2 days of Spring Break away from us so we wouldn't have to go to school until the middle of June.)

I managed to get a few pictures taken yesterday before church in all their Easter finery. Of course the newly teenager didn't want to be in any of the pictures so it's only the three youngest. I am also posting the recipe for the 5 Day Coconut Cake that I had made for Easter Sunday's luncheon. I came home with none of it and a piece would taste good right now too.


Jorden (3)

My handsome little man, Benjamin (6)

Allie (9), who had to have pink somewhere on her!

One of the last pictures taken. Kids were tired of all the shots mom was taking so Jorden grabbed Benjamin and gave him a big smack-a-roo. Love the look on Benjamin's face.

5 Day Coconut Cake

1 pkg (6oz) coconut
1 (16oz) sour cream
2 cups powder sugar
1 box white cake mix
1 (6oz) coconut
1 container of cool-whip (I used a 12oz)

1st day - Mix first 3 ingredients. Let chill in refrigerator for 24 hours.
2nd day - Make the cake and let cool. Slice layers in half and spread mixture inside layers. Put cake together, spreading between layers too. Cover the outside of the cake with the remaining mixture. (I only covered the top with the mixture) Cover and chill cake for 3 days or more.
There is a layer of coconut in the bottom cake, just can't see it from this angle.

5th day - Right before serving spread cool-whip on cake and spread coconut over entire cake. ( I just sprinkled the coconut on top of the cake. Would be great toasted to add some color)
My cake was only in the refrigerator for 2 1/2 days and it was still very moist.

Hint - The longer the cake remains in the refrigerator the more moist and flavorful it becomes. Whipping cream maybe used if desired.

I think the best compliment I got on the cake yesterday was from someone who does not like coconut at all! She loved it. She ate a piece and even licked the cake server clean!

Sorry I've been MIA, seems like I get busy and forget (blush) to upload my projects to my blog! I have a handful to catch up on and hope to do it soon! Thanks for sticking with me even if i don't update regularly.

8 comments:

Denise Marzec said...

The kiddos all looked BEAUTIFUL for Easter. Oh my word, that polka dotted dress is sooooo cute. :)

Your cake looks delicious!....between your coconut cake and your mom's kahlua post, I'm SOOOOO hungry for cake now, LOL!

Misti said...

Hey Amber! Your kids are adorable! That cake looks scrumptious! Hope you had a wonderful Easter!

Kimme said...

Oh my! Who let Jorden grow up? Cute kids. I think I need you to take my kids pictures next time.

Connie M. said...

Your kids are all so adorable...great pictures!! That cake...oh my it looks fab!!

Jennifer Beason said...

Hey Amber! Your kids are the cutest!!! :) Glad you had a nice Easter!

The Mama Monkey said...

Oh Amber, I just gained 5 pounds by looking at that delicious dessert! :) Happy Easter!

Melissa Bove said...

Your kids are gorgeous Amber! Such cuties!!

And that cake looks so yummy!! Thanks for the recipe!

Hugs,
Melissa

Carole said...

I hope I'm not going to make everyone jealous who "just sees" this cake, but I am the ONE who hates coconut (anything)!! HOWEVER, it took THIS cake to made me a convert to the JOYS of coconut! Just in case you're still in doubt ... I loooooooooved it!!