Monday, June 23, 2008

I've been Published!!

You might remember this post I did back on March 18. Well now I can show you the card that was published! First some background on why I submitted and how.

Now I had made a card for the Limited Supply challenge where we had to use only numbers on our card. (in Oct. '07) Well I don't own number stamps so I came up with the idea to use a fish from Rubbernecker and make him into a number. I picked the number 9 as my nephew's birthday was coming up so being a good Tia (aunt) I made him a birthday card. I masked the little fish until I had a 9 shaped from fish! A little watercoloring with distress reinkers and I was good to go. But then I saw a contest on RubberStampMadness on numbers, and thought why not enter it. So I sent my nephew's birthday card to RSM (and not by email, they like you to send in the actual card), deadline was Nov.15th! Months went by and I never heard a thing. I started kicking myself for not including a SASE so they could send the card back as I figured I hadn't been picked.

March 7th rolled around and I got an email from Galilee saying that "my artwork was chosen to be in the RSM Numbers centerfold (didn't know I was a centerfold, huh?? lol) - issue 160 (July/August 2008)" I think I fell out of my chair!

So now I'm excited to share with you some pictures of my card in the magazine. Go check out RSM and see what themed art they are looking for next. They also except artwork that is not on a specfic theme. So send in your cards, you never know, you just might get published! Just don't forget that SASE!! lol

Issue 160 July/August 2008 (sorry for the flash on the cover)

School of Fish
Amber Hillman of St.Paris, Ohio sent in our final number. "I went way outside my comfort zone," says the artist. "I didn't have any number stamps so I had to come up with a completely different way to get a number stamped on my card."

To make her number 9, Hillman first sketched a light outline of the number on paper. "Then maksing the fish, I stamped him over and over on the outline," she says. "Then masking the bottom fish, I stamped the seaweed twice and once on a piece of white."
She used watercolors with distress inks on them, cut them out and popped up the middle section of seaweed for dimension. More dimension comes from the Crystal Effects she added to the bubbles. "I stamped and cut out one fish and added google eyes to him."
Hillman has been stamping for five years, and used two of her favorite techniques for this project: masking and watercoloring. Although she says she leans towards the number seven being her favorite, this card would be perfect for a nine-year-old's birthday. "Any time I stamp I have fun," Hillman says. "I really enjoyed this challenge because my card turned out exactly how I had envisioned it." (stamp credits: Fish, seaweed- Rubbernecker.)
By Karen Sweeny-Justice

9 comments:

StampOwl said...

congratulations Amber that is so exciting

dawnmercedes said...

congrats!

Anonymous said...

OH AMBER!!! WWHOOOOHHHHOO!! OH jumping up and down for you!! PUBLISHED!! I am soo happy for you!!

squirrellyshirley

Anonymous said...

Congrats (great card btw....was just thinking that I might have to CASE it but use different numbers!!)

Michele Kovack said...

Congratulations!!! That was an awesome use of the stamps!!!

Ashley said...

CONGRATS Amber!! I love that card so much!! Beautiful work! You totally deserve it! Hugs, Ash~

Ann said...

Amber that is so totally cool how you made your #9!! Love it and you deserve it!!

Karen said...

Amber, this is so clever and so cute. You really deserve the honor of being published. Good for you!!!!!!!!!

carole (TruCarMa) said...

Congratulations, Amber! Easy to see why it was selected -- it's FABULOUS and fishy, too! ;)