Saturday, May 31, 2008

Recipe of the day


Rhubarb Lemon Muffins
from mar/apr 2008 Simply Delicious mag.

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup plus 1 1/2 tsp sugar, divided
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk *
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 T grated lemon peel
1 3/4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb **

In a large bowl, combine the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and ginger. In a small bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, oil and lemon peel. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in the rhubarb.

Fill paper-lined or greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Sprinkle with the remaining sugar. Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.
Yield: 1 doz

* If you don't have buttermilk (like me), you can make your own by measuring 1 T of vinegar or lemon juice into 1 cup and then filling it up with milk. Let sit for 5 mins and then take out what you need for the recipe.

** If using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
My oldest, who is very picking, gobbles these down! So you know they have to be yummy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my neighbor just gave me about 10 pounds of fresh rhubarb from his garden.....OH AMBER I am so glad I found this on your blog.....OFF TO BAKE!!!!

squirrellyshirley

Anonymous said...

I grew up in Indiana having lots of fresh rhubard pie, etc and really miss it. I'm sending this recipe to my sisters who all still live there and asking them to try this and also save some rhubard for me for this fall when I'll visit. Thanks for this yummy looking recipe.