Thursday, December 13, 2007

A dog's Christmas?

Boy what a day! My camera is still on the fritz when it comes to downloading. The only way right now I can download is to take the little card out and stick it in my hubby's computer. Download on to his thumb drive and then take that drive back to my computer and download everything. Talk about the long way around just so I can upload my creations! (and it really stinks if I don't have anything done before he leaves for work because then I have to wait until he gets home and of course today he pulled a long day!!)

Today's challenge was Monochromatic cards. I have never done any (that I'm aware of!) but have always wanted to try. I also wanted to play with the dogs from Rubbernecker. I used my dog as my color guide and since I wanted him brown, I went with shades of brown!

I used old paper distress embossing powder on the tree (yes, it is different than regular embossing powder. After you emboss and it cools, you gently rub off to release crystals to 'distress') And instead of using a versamark pad for the embossing powder, I used the Distress embossing ink. OMG! That pad smelled wonderful.. like cinnamon! I've never had a pad smell that good before. (maybe that's why i did so much embossing on this card!!)

Snowflakes and snow is all white embossing powder, with the snow cover white craft ink that had been stippled on. (I finally got my first ever stipple brush from Rubbernecker ! I've been using kid's paintbrushes for stipple brushes! lol)

To make the icicles, i traced the doghouse with crystal effects (on wax paper) and then sprinkled crystal effects on it. After it dried, i peeled it off and stuck it on the dog house.

Dog house, dog and stocking are stamped in distress ink and then watercolored with distress ink. The dog house is on dimensions and the dog is attached to the main frame to give the entire Shadowbox card more of a 3-D'sh look. I even added a touch of crystal effects to the dog's nose to give it that wet look!

Stamps: dog, dog house, stocking, tree -Rubbernecker; ink: distress ink; acces: distress embossing powder, white embossing powder, brad, crystal effects

I've been wanting to try Debbie Olsen's sketch that she came up with for Lisa's birthday bash at CHF. I wasn't able to do it then but yesterday was the right time. I wish Lisa's birthday had been tons earlier in the month as i love this card as my Christmas card! Oh, wait.. I'm not done making Christmas cards so I guess i can still use this idea!!

I went with Cranberry Crisp as my color. I stamped the image in that wonderful smelling distress embossing ink (k, so I just wanted to take a whif again!!) and then into Cranberry Crisp. I sprinkled clear embossing powder over it and heated. The rest is pretty simple, cutting it out, layering, making the notched edge with the circle punch, adding ribbon. After I was all done, I went back with yellow stickles for the windows and any other lights. Also added crystal stickles to the ground for the snow.

Stamps: Thomas Kinkade Village Christmas by Cornish Heritage Farms; ink: Cranberry crisp, distress embossing ink; paper: Cranberry crisp, white; Acces: stickles, clear embossing powder, ribbon, circle punch

Don't forget to check out my blog candy below. They are now offering free shipping to Canada on $40.00 or more!! woo hoo

0 comments: